THE Bureau of Meteorology has issued a severe thunderstorm warning for people across West and South Gippsland.
The below is from the BoM. Up-to-date information can be found at bom.gov.au/vic/warnings.
SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING
for DAMAGING WIND, HEAVY RAINFALL and LARGE HAILSTONES
For people in the Central, Northern Country, North Central, West and South Gippsland and parts of the Mallee, South West, North East and Wimmera Forecast Districts.
Issued at 12:25 pm Monday, 23 February 2015.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce damaging winds, heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding and large hailstones in the warning area over the next several hours. Locations which may be affected include Horsham, Ballarat, Bendigo, Shepparton, Seymour, Maryborough, Geelong, Melbourne and Traralgon.
There have been reports of hail damage to cars in the Colac/Cressy area associated with thunderstorm activity earlier in the day.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Keep clear of fallen power lines.
* secure any loose objects in the vicinity of your home.
* keep away from creeks and drains.
* do not drive vehicles through flooded areas.
* stay indoors if possible.
* Avoid using the phone during the storm.
* if you are outside, avoid sheltering under trees
* listen to the radio for storm updates
* switch off your computer and electrical appliances
The next warning is due to be issued by 3:25 pm.
If severe thunderstorms develop in the Melbourne Area, a more detailed Severe Thunderstorm Warning will be issued to people in this area.
Warnings are also available through TV and Radio broadcasts, the Bureau’s website at www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 217.
Get free email updates from the Baw Baw Citizen
Read more Baw Baw News