Two hospitalised after chemical dump in Warragul drain
 Baw Baw News  

By // 17:03, Wednesday 31 October 2012

CFA volunteers clean the drain in which the chemicals were dumped. Photos: William Kulich.

TWO women working in a Queen Street shop have been hospitalised after inhaling fumes from cleaning solvent which was dumped in a nearby drain.

The CFA was called to the area of 140 Queen Street at around 11am yesterday after a report was made of paint thinner smell coming from a drain.

CFA and Baw Baw Shire crews were on-site yesterday and today cleaning chemicals from the drain and the nearby Hazeldene Creek which it drains into.


ADVERTISEMENT

A CFA spokesperson told The Warragul Citizen they are investigating the source of the chemical, which is likely to have come from a business in the area.

Stay updated with TWC:
Via email (recommended).
Via Facebook.

The shop where the pair work, Warragul Lighting and Accessories, was closed today following the discovery of the chemicals.

Contaminated water was pumped from the creek this afternoon and will be tested to find out exactly what the chemicals, believed to be mostly gun wash, were.

The Environmental Protection Authority and Gippsland Water were also called to the scene.

The drain was blocked and dammed with sand after the chemicals were discovered.

Stay updated with TWC:
Via email (recommended).
Via Facebook.

Council and CFA personnel pump contaminated water from a nearby creek.

 Click for the latest Baw Baw News