Underpass works on track to finish by May
 Baw Baw News  

By // 18:01, Monday 2 March 2015

warragul underpass cobstruction queen street by william pj kulich for warragul baw baw citizen newspaper

THE new Warragul rail underpass which will connect Normanby Place to Alfred Street is expected to be completed May this year despite previous issues building the road surface.

First published in the 27 February edition of the Warragul & Baw Baw Citizen. Get your copy today from retailers across Baw Baw.

VicRoads project director Charlie Broadhurst said there had been difficulty finding a solid base on which to build the new underpass and an initial investigation of the site found ground improvement works were unavoidable.


ADVERTISEMENT

“To establish a strong, durable base for the new road, the underpass design [now includes] a technique element known as a drainage blanket to control ground water flows,” he told the Warragul & Baw Baw Citizen.

“The blanket layer consists of large rocks wrapped in strong fabric and is approximately 450mm deep.”

“The combination of the large rocks and strong fabric provides a solid base to build the road over while allowing water to pass through without causing long term damage to the road base.”

The Baw Baw Shire Council has discussed the possibility of an arts project to decorate the underpass, but the site is one of several being considered.

“The council is currently working with the Arts and Culture Advisory Committee to decide the best location and type of art for the project,” director of Community Assets Phil Cantillon told the Warragul & Baw Baw Citizen.

“The underpass is one of the areas of consideration.”

Progress on the broader Warragul Rail Precinct Upgrade, which the underpass works are a part of, remains on track.

“Construction work on the new rail underpass and associated intersections is progressing well,” Mr Broadhurst said.

“The new car park (opened last year) is currently undergoing asphalting repair works. The eastern section is open to the public and the western section will be open on 3 March.”


ADVERTISEMENT

“Numerous features have also been completed, including an upgraded area for pick up/drop off [at] the station, a new bus interchange and the new disability Discrimination Act complaint pedestrian ramp and footbridge over the rail line.”

The $26.04 million precinct project began on 31 August in 2014 and was funded jointly by state and federal governments.

27 FEBRUARY EDITION OUT NOW – Copies available from retailers across Baw Baw.

WBBC 150227 preview image 2

 Click for the latest Baw Baw News