THE COUNTRY Fire Authority has issued a bushfire Watch and Act message for people in Longwarry, Longwarry North, Labertouche, Tonimbuk, Bunyip, Bunyip North and Garfield North.
UPDATE – 18:10: The Watch and Act has been downgraded to a small Advice notice covering an area near Tonimbuk.
UPDATE – 16:59: The Watch and Act has been downgraded but remains in place. Fire crews have stopped the spread of the fire and will continue to patrol the area. Smoke in the area may restrict visibility in the area and emergency vehicles are on the road.
OLDER INFORMATION: The fire originated in Tonimbuk near Ellis Road
and is not yet under control.
UPDATE: The emergency.vic.gov.au website now lists the fire as under control, but the Watch and Act remains in place. A fire south of Warragul (Stockdales Road) has been declared safe.
The information below is from emergency.vic.gov.au, issued at 15:29. For the latest bushfire information visit emergency.vic.gov.au. WBBC is not an emergency broadcaster.
This is a Watch and Act message issued by Country Fire Authority for Tonimbuk, Bunyip North, Garfield North, Labertouche, Longwarry North, Bunyip, Longwarry.
There is a small grassfire travelling quickly in a westerly direction from the Ellis Rd area.
This grassfire is currently not yet under control.
The fire could impact any time between 3.25 PM and 4.00 PM.
There is an expected wind change in the next 30-60 minutes which may change the direction of the fire to the north east towards Labertouche.
Don’t wait, leaving now is the safest option – conditions may change and get worse very quickly. Emergency Services may not be able to help you if you decide to stay.
– The home of family or friends that is away from the warning area.
– Nearest regional area – Pakenham
When driving, slow down and turn on your headlights; smoke will make it difficult to see.
The next update is expected by 06/10/15 5:00 PM or as the situation changes.
- Remember to take your prescriptions and medication, photo ID, bottles of water, your mobile phone and charger and consider what you will do with your pets.
- If you have time, check your neighbours to see if they are monitoring conditions.
- Contact a family member or friend to tell them what you plan to do.
- Via www.emergency.vic.gov.au
- Tune to ABC Local Radio, commercial and designated community radio stations or Sky News TV.
- Call the Victorian Bushfire Information Line (VBIL) on freecall 1800 240 667.
- If you need medical advice for burns or smoke exposure call Nurse on Call on 1300 606 024.
- Deaf, hard of hearing, or have a speech/communication impairment can contact VBIL via the National Relay Service on 1800 555 677.
- For help with English, call the Translating and Interpreting Service on 131 450 (freecall) and ask them to telephone VBIL. If you know someone who cannot speak English, provide them with this number.
- Download the FireReady App and follow CFA_Updates on Twitter (#VicFires) or Facebook.
- Road Closures: check VicRoads website.
- Coloured area shows the predicted warning area at the time of issue
Get free email updates from the Baw Baw Citizen
Read more Baw Baw News